Here’s a recipe for all the night owls.
Do you love a good sleep in? Well here’s a way to give yourself some extra time wrapped up in your doona, especially on weekday mornings.
After dinner, or perhaps while you’re searching the pantry for a late night snack, you can fix yourself some breakfast for the morning…
Ladies and gentle things, I introduce to you, The Overnight Jar.
It’s fast, it’s simple, and it tastes as good as you can make it!
What you’ll need:
o Empty glass jar ( I use Cottees’ jars, but you can just as easily use a wide glass or a small bowl)
o Milk or Unsweetened Almond Milk (approx. ½ cup)
o Plain ‘Quick Cooking Oats’
o Chia seeds
o Yogurt of your choice (plain yogurt or greek style yogurt works nicely)
Option 1: cinnamon, sunflower seeds, ½ a banana (sliced), toasted/raw desiccated coconut, peanut butter (I use crunchy organic, but whatever you have in your pantry is good)
Option 2: cinnamon, frozen blueberries, frozen raspberries, flaked almonds (if you have time, it can be nice to toast a packet of these in the oven at 180 Celsius for a few minutes, let them cool on the baking tray and then store them in an airtight container – they should last you all week!)
Option 3: A few dates (pitted and chopped up), small handful of mixed nuts (whole or chopped), cinnamon
How to do it
- Pour in the sachet of quick cooking oats (or 2 if you’re a big breakfast person)
- Put in 1 tbsp of chia seeds and stir them through the oats (they are very good at soaking up moisture and are packed with protein!)
- If putting cinnamon in, now is a good point to do it. Add 1-2 teaspoons dependent on your taste.
- Then, add the milk of your choice.
- Put in the additional ingredients.
- Dollop 2-3 tablespoons of yogurt on top
- Put the lid on the jar/ cover the glass with cling wrap.
- Put it in the fridge overnight.
This is just a basic guide, feel free to experiment with ingredients and layering as much as you’d like!
Something to keep in mind: citrus and acidic fruits (like passionfruit) don’t work well with the oats and milk etc…
Are you more of an early bird? There’s a recipe coming for you soon! Watch this space…